Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Meet Me at Mt. Sinai

Meet Me at Mt. Sinai, a program developed based on research to prepare children and families having surgery, is amazing. At first, MJ wouldn't look at the PowerPoint slides being displayed, and held his ears because he 'didn't want to talk about it.' But the presenter, Deanna gently pressed on. There were slides on a large screen of a black child and his mother wearing hospital pajamas sitting in the surgical waiting area. MJ looked at me and said 'that's me and you'. From there he was a willing and often funny participant, cracking jokes.

MJ was shown many real items he'll see beginning at admission. Stethoscopes, heart monitoring pads, parents' and kids' hospital pajamas, and non-skid socks. Other times there were real life pictures of a wheelchair, the operating room, and recovery room. Later we were given a tour of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), children's ward, semi-private room and the surgical admissions area.

MJ grew more relaxed over the course of the program and hospital tour. He no longer seemed fearful of what will happen on the 20th.

From my viewpoint, after visiting PICU it hit me just how intense and stressful this experience will be for all of us. On the 3rd floor PICU, a curtain is all that separates most patients. The sights, sounds and odors are apparent as soon as you walk through the doors. MJ was shown how to use the Patient Controlled Analgesic button (PCA) using a 'call' (nurse) button. A nurse told us only one parent at a time may visit PICU. MJ was having such a good time and was excited. His experience was a very positive one.

However, I felt like I am betraying him because he doesn't know how difficult his surgery and long recovery process will be. I grew more depressed as we left to go home. Once at home, in the privacy of my bedroom I cried some, then climbed into bed early to go to sleep. In a quiet moment before falling asleep, a thought came to me. I thought about havaing discomfort and pain – hard pain. My point of reference is labor and childbirth, and gall bladder attacks I had as a teen.

Remembering our daughter Renee during labor, I could see how much pain she was in for several hours. As her labor coach, I also recall she felt relief once given an epidural which diminished when it was time to push. Yes, I was on high alert and often felt quite tense throughout her labor. But we all got through it! And afterwards there was the birth of our beautiful grandson, Isiah. Initially, Renee had no idea what her labor and birth experience would be like. Yet she was still excited over the outcome, her new baby.

Putting MJ's surgery and recovery into perspective, I know MJ will have major discomfort and pain. He will get relief from the pain medication. As his mother, I expect to be on high alert and under a good deal of stress. But we will all get through it! And afterwards the pay-off in his case, will hopefully be a new back with beautiful posture. This morning I woke up feeling excited like MJ was last night.